carrot curry soup

Have spent much of this lovely September Sunday in the kitchen, and I am happy to report it's been a very successful cooking session! :-)

I'm also happy to share with you one of the concoctions I came up with this afternoon---carrot curry soup. I originally planned to make carrot ginger soup, but then I started adding cumin and coriander and something else was born. :-)

Here's what I used:

  • Nine carrots, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • Olive oil, 2-3 T
  • Onion, 1 medium-sized chopped
  • Ginger, 1.5-inch piece finely chopped
  • Garlic, 4 cloves finely chopped
  • Veggie stock, 6 cups (use less if you prefer a thicker soup)
  • Fennel seeds, 1 t
  • Curry powder, 1-2 t OR I used 1/2 t each of cumin, turmeric, coriander powder, and asofetida
  • Greek yogurt (or regular plain yogurt, sour cream, crème fraîche, etc.), 2 small individual containers
  • Parsley, to garnish

First I sauteed the onion, garlic, ginger, and fennel seeds in the olive oil for about 10 minutes, medium heat, stirring frequently until the onion was translucent. Then I added the stock and carrots, brought to a boil, and simmered for 30-40 minutes, until the carrots were soft. After removing from the heat, I used a hand blender (if you don't have one of these, get one! Otherwise, use a regular blender) to cream until smooth, adding the curry spices and yogurt. Finish off with a bit of parsley---or a drizzle of fresh cream! Enjoy!!! :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment