bavette with shrimp, broccoli, tomatoes, and basil

Still not sure what to make for dinner this evening AND you're in a hurry? Here's an easy, healthier, updated version of shrimp scampi that I threw together for myself today. From start to finish, this meal can be put together in only 20 minutes---another win! :-)

Ingredients, per serving:
  • Olive oil, 1-2 T
  • Garlic, 2 cloves finely chopped*
  • Broccoli, 1 cup chopped into florets and lightly steamed (in a microwave is easiest)
  • Tomato, 1 medium chopped
  • Shrimp, 6 large peeled
  • Basil, handful torn into pieces
  • Bavette (or other flat, long pasta), 1 serving size (enough to stand on top of a quarter is my personal gauge)

One of the reasons I love pasta for quick meals is that while I'm waiting for the water to boil, I prep all the veg and other ingredients. Then while the pasta is cooking, I can turn my attention to the saute pan. :-) In this case, after I've started the bavette, I add the garlic to the olive oil and cook for a minute or two on medium heat, until the garlic is light gold.

*If you are not a garlic fan, feel free to cut the amount used to just a clove, or even half a clove per person. We are big garlic fans, and in all truthfulness, I would probably use 3 cloves if making this just for myself. :-)

Next add the chopped tomato, broccoli, and shrimp and saute, stirring frequently and adjusting heat, if necessary. Take care not to burn the garlic because it will give the dish a bitter taste (says someone who has learned from experience!). Remove from heat when shrimp have turned pink and cover. Drain the pasta and toss with other ingredients; let it sit for a minute before dishing up. Sprinkle with the torn fresh basil, and enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment